Pages

Sunday 29 January 2017

Watching What You Say

I´m going to have a little bit of a rant here, so before I begin, a bit of good news is we´ll FINALLY be moving into our new house in the next 2-3 weeks, hopefully we´ll find out tomorrow the date to finalise the sale!! My pinterest House folder is growing by the second and i´ve already mentally spent more money than we´ve got so it´s safe to say i´m pretty excited to be in our own space again!

Now here comes the rant...

At least once a week I/we get asked the question "When are you going to have kids?" Now, i´m a person with A LOT of patience but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, it has to be the least thought through, most insensitive question i´ve ever been asked in my life.

I´d like to say to the people who ask this:

  • You don´t know if we want to have children or not.
  • You don´t know if we CAN have children or not.
  • You don´t know if we´ve spent the last year trying, but not getting pregnant.
  • YOU DON´T KNOW ANYTHING...
I obviously don´t say this, i´d like to, but I don´t. I usually do one of the following:

  • Smile falsly.
  • Say something along the lines of "Well, we don´t even have a house yet..." (Officially can not say this anymore)
  • Change the subject. 
The truth is, i´d love to have a baby, we´re planning on trying as soon as we´re settled in the house but i´m not going to tell every Tom, Dick and Harry my business, what am I supposed to say? "Well actually i´ve spent the past year and a half with the alarm on my biological clock stuck on ring and I can´t find the snooze button!" or "Well actually some days I can´t even face to see children because I want one so bad, and isn´t it ironic that i´m a teacher and i´m with them all day?!" 

You should never ask someone when are they going to have children, you don´t know what that person is going through in their life in regards to that subject. I don´t go around asking single people "And, so when are you going to get a boy/girlfriend?" It´s insensitive, not every single person wants to have a partner, just like not every person who has a partner wants to have children.  

A little word to the wise, i´m getting close to snapping. Yesterday after being asked that question twice in the space of half an hour I plucked up the courage to say something i´ve been dying to say for a long time, I didn´t go full on crazy but the conversation kind of went like this:

Them: "So, now you have a house, when are you going to have babies?"
Me: "Do you know how often we get asked that?"
Them: "Yeh but when I ask, i´m only joking..."
Me: "Yeh, EVERYONE is only joking, it´s not funny..."

It stopped the conversation and we were able to carry on talking about ANYTHING other than the B word. Maybe I should pluck up the courage to speak my mind more often! 

No comments:

Post a Comment