Pages

Friday 6 January 2017

That´s so Hygge

Probably you´ve heard, or better, seen, the word HYGGE flying about lately, it seems to be everywhere. But what exactly is it?!

Hygge (Hue-ga) is a Danish word that doesn´t have a direct translation, it´s more a feeling. Think everything comforting, comforting foods, hot drinks, candles, lying on the soca watching a film with a blanket and popcorn on a cold, rainy day. Think dinners at home with friends, walks in the woods, wooly socks, open fires, flowers, hugs... Just everything that gives you that amazing warming, comfortable feeling inside. THAT is Hygge.

Since watching the Channel 4 series Scandimania a few years ago I fell in love with all things Scandi, I even took a solo trip to Copenhagen just before moving to Spain and i´m dying to take Mr. Millennial there.

So when I heard about Hygge I had to know how I could infuse this Danish way of simple happiness into my rather hectic Spanish/British life. As we´re about to buy a house (in one month and counting) i´m rather obsessively thinking about decorating it, and of course i´m planning on making our new house very Hyggelig, complete with candles, blankets, warm colours, soft lighting, bringing the outdoors indoors and of course lots of Hyggelig food!

Keep an eye out over the coming weeks where I´ll be sharing more of my decorating ideas and see if you can spot the Danish influences.



No comments:

Post a Comment